Thursday, October 23, 2008

Puppy Love





October 22, 2008

I promise the blog on the book donations is coming. It is half finished; I have just been busy with lots of other things. We’re finalizing details on the Piggybank Project (with details to come once we’ve finished), I’m starting up my 7 Habits club in two different high schools, and I’ve gotten some French books that I’ve distributed in Nkongsamba and in the West Province. I’m also working on getting a well in a tiny town with an orphanage and no water where people walk miles to a river every day. That’s all in addition to … Sac à Puce (flea bag), or Saki as we call him. That’s right – I got a puppy! I am a dog person and had resisted getting a dog in Cameroon for the longest time because I didn’t know who I would leave it with or how to bring it back when my service was over. I still haven’t found that person and I’m not planning on taking him back, but I gave in. I figure I can leave him with another Peace Corps volunteer when it’s time to go. It’ll be hard, but I think the time with him will be worth it.

So while you’re already waiting for the book donation blog, I’ll give you something else – photos of the cutest puppy in Cameroon.

Tim

1 comment:

Cameroonian Librarian said...

Here are a few very cool and immensely interesting and educational books by African writers. There are more out there, but I thought I'd send you a short list, for starters. I hoped you'll keep them in mind as you design your book club.

Buchi Emecheta’s book, set in colonial Southern Nigeria, is a very good one: “The Joys of Motherhood”

Also, Tsitsi Dangarembga’s book, set in Zimbabwe, is phenomenal: “Nervous Conditions”

Mariama Ba’s book, set in Senegal, is beautiful: “So Long a Letter”

If I think of any more books, I’ll be back.